14th Annual Sedona Plein Air Festival
Presented by the Sedona Arts Center
October 13 - 20, 2018
Deadline for Entries March 1, 2018, 11:59 p.m. PST
Festival and Exhibition Details
Paint in the Shangri-La of the Southwest! Sedona is a sublime environment with stunning beauty and the Sedona Arts Center has roots going back 60 years to the founding of Sedona’s identity as an ‘art colony’. The Festival takes place during the best weather week of the year and is supported by a group of very experienced and enthusiastic staff and volunteers. The community of art lovers open their doors to host - thirty artists from around the country that will be selected to participate in this prestigious event. An opening exhibition of six works by each artist at the beginning of the event presents work the artist has brought with them from their home terrain creating a diverse opening exhibition that represent a variety of media and style incorporating studio along with plein air work. Paintings done during the festival are integrated into the ongoing exhibition throughout the week. Paintings are available for sale to patrons all week long. A keynote address mid-week and a gala Friday evening provide added encouragement to view and purchase. On Friday afternoon the artists select their best work to be judged for awards as we rehang the presentation. The festival also includes three paint-out events where all artist’s paint and the public is invited to watch. Each paint-out has its own awards accompanied by a sales event.
Events Schedule - Highlights (subject to change as needed)
• Artists Orientation – Saturday, October 13, 9 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Held on the campus of the Sedona Arts Center. Attendance is required for all participants. Stamping of canvases. Hanging of work in Special Exhibition Gallery (SEG) and Theatre Studio. Artists are asked to bring six paintings (including some studio work). Brunch is provided. Opening Reception 7:00 p.m. Saturday evening.
• Creekside Paint-out at L’Auberge - Wednesday, October 17, 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Awards and Sale immediately following at L’Auberge. Shuttle provided from 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. starting in Arts Center parking lot to nearby L’Auberge Resort for both the artists and the public.
• Keynote Speaker – Wednesday, October 17, 6:00 p.m. Bill Cramer, this year’s Judge and Keynote speaker will deliver a digital presentation followed by a mid-week reception open to the public.
• Paint Out at Seven Canyons Resort - Thursday, October 18, 1 – 4 p.m. Awards and Sales Reception immediately following.
• Final Festival Paintings Hanging – Friday, October 19, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Only works presented in the SEG will be eligible for awards, except an Artists’ Choice Award which will be based on the entire body of work displayed in both rooms.
• Plein Air Party and Awards Presentation - Friday, October 19, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. in the Arts Center’s SEG and Theatre Studio with wine, cheese and hors d’oeuvres. Artists’ awards presented throughout the evening.
• Paint-Out on Main Street – Saturday, October 20, 10:00 a.m. – Noon. This is the last opportunity for visitors and residents to become acquainted with the artists and observe them in action. Sale at the Arts Center immediately following. Final Sales – Saturday, October 20, until 2:00 p.m.
Deadline for Entries March 1, 2018, 11:59 p.m. PST
Notification of the selected artists will be completed by email by March 15, 2018.
There is a $25.00 non-refundable entry fee per application. A maximum of 5 pieces may be entered for consideration. Should an artist be selected the $25.00 fee will be applied against the $125.00 fee that is required of each participating artist.
Entering Your Images
Online entry will be conducted through Online Juried Shows. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up. Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be PC compatible in JPEG format, RGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to: https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx. Be sure to add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Sedona Plein Air Festival 2018 Keynote – Bill Cramer
Sedona Arts Center ED and Festival Chair – Vince Fazio
Sedona Arts Center Gallery Director – Cyndi Thau
Sedona Arts Center will retain a 40% commission on all sales at the event.
• Best in Show Award pays $500.00 and a ½ page ad in Plein Air Magazine.
• A Collector’s Choice and an Artists Choice award each have a $500.00 prize.
• Six Awards are provided by Materials Sponsors: Gamblin Oils and Guerilla Painter (two awards at each paint out) $250.00 value each.
• In addition to the Best of Show Award, three Merit Awards are selected by the Judge and Keynote Speaker for the event (these do not carry a monetary value).
• A special “Image Award” is used in advertising for the next year’s festival.